Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What if?

Those simple two words may be the most important question a designer can ask. That holds true for the jewelry designer as much as for the architect or the engineer or the cook. It is when we are our most child-like, questioning the status quo, imagining possibilities. It is what allows us to break out of our boxes, our molds, our boundaries and create something new.

Creativity doesn't occur in a vacuum.  We use what we have, what we know, what we see - to create something new.  Sometimes it is with intent; sometimes it seems more by accident/incident.

I will find myself looking at (or beading a made-to-order version) of one of my existing designs, like this early signature Sand Fibers cuff.



I can't even recall how I came up with the original motif, but it was one of my very first graphed designs (hence the name).  I can't even recall how many different color combinations I have beaded this in over the years.  But that's all beside the point...

One day last year, I was working with the design and wondered, "What if I superimpose a mirrored version of the motif...?"  I graphed out the "new" design but didn't have time to bead it up myself. My Sand Fibers Beta Beader Alicia Hartley came to the rescue and so I will get to release Vortex as a new Sand Fibers pattern later on today.


After Alicia finished beading this prototype, she asked "What if you doubled it?"  She thought she was being quite creative (and she was), but I had already beat her to the question...and answered it.


I love "What if?"

Be well and get going!
Carol Dean

3 comments:

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

Diane Fitzgerald once said the essence of design is doing something, and then doing something to that and then.... You get the idea. In your case, it worked amazingly well! Beautiful shapes.

Mystic Indigo said...

Really beautiful work...and What If is so powerful!!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

I am a big fan of "what if" too :o) In later years, I have had to turn the "what ifs" into something positive rather than worry about the negatives. I have already started the "what ifs" as I read Color Drenched Metals by Shannon LeVart. I'm excited to get started with my experimenting!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...